SPWLA International Student Paper Contest 2017
DEADLINE EXTENDED UNTIL APRIL 19, 2017
Student Paper Contest Entry Form
SPWLA would like to announce the guidelines for participation in the 2017 international student paper contest. Due to the increase in student involvement across the international SPWLA community, the SPWLA board of directors and the 2017 SPWLA annual symposium student paper committee have decided to conduct Internal Student Chapter Paper Contests (ISCPC) as a pre-selection step for participants of the 2017 SPWLA International Student Paper Contest (2017 SPWLA ISPC). Each student chapter that has an ISCPC plan and budget approved by the VP of Education will receive up to $500 USD for reimbursement from the SPWLA to conduct their contest. Both of the ISCPC and the 2017 SPWLA ISPC will have separate categories for undergraduate, M.Sc., and Ph.D. level students. In order to compete in the 2017 SPWLA ISPC, students should either win the nomination of their SPWLA student chapter, or submit an abstract.
Students who have a local student chapter at their university must win the nomination of their SPWLA student chapter per each degree level, undergraduate, M.Sc., and Ph.D. Student Chapters must finish their competitions, submit their abstracts and deliver their nominations to the SPWLA VP of Education at VP-Education@spwla.org on or before April 7, 2017. Each Student chapter is allowed three nominees for each degree level. The guidelines for the internal paper contests can be found in Appendix A, attached to this announcement. You may contact the SPWLA VP-Education for more information about the ISCPC.
Students who do not have a local student chapter at their university are also welcome to participate in the international paper contest. To be eligible to compete in the international competition, these students must submit an abstract and the abstract submittal form to email@example.com on or before March 31, 2017. When submitting an abstract, please follow the guidelines on the attached Student Paper Contest Entry Form and submit the completed form with your abstract.
The student paper contest committee will announce the list of participants in the ISPC by May 15, 2017. Students may be selected to participate in either an oral or poster contest. The 2017 SPWLA ISPC will take place during the annual symposium in OKC on Sunday, June 18, 2017. Monetary awards will be given to the top presenters within each category undergraduate, M.Sc., and Ph.D. for both oral and poster contests.
For more information about the 2017 SPWLA ISPC, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We would like to thank you for your time and interest in the SPWLA organization and we look forward to seeing you at the 2017 SPWLA Annual Symposium in Oklahoma City.
Andrew Barry, Chair of the Student Paper Contest Committee
Zoya Heidari, SPWLA VP-Education
Appendix A: Guidelines for the SPWLA Internal Student Chapter Paper Contests
The guidelines for the Internal Student Chapter Paper Contests are listed as follows:
- SPWLA Student Chapters are expected to hold internal paper contests.
- SPWLA Student Chapters are expected to share their plans for holding internal paper contest with the SPWLA VP of Education. Their plans should be approved by the SPWLA VP of Education.
- There will be $500 USD of financial support available for the internal student paper contests. Each SPWLA Student Chapter should submit a plan for the use of this financial support to the SPWLA VP of Education to gain approval before receiving the funds.
- Each SPWLA Student Chapter has the responsibility of announcing the internal paper contest within their university. This includes a call for abstracts.
- Each SPWLA Student Chapter must also select at least three judges for their internal contest.
- Each SPWLA Student Chapter is required to send a list of the three top student presentations within each category of Ph.D., M.Sc., and Undergraduate to the SPWLA VP of Education and the Chair of the student paper contest committee.
- The SPWLA VP-Education and the student paper contest committee will select among the nominees from each school for participating in either oral or poster presentations in the SPWLA International Student Paper Contest, upon availability of the spots and based on the technical content of the submitted abstracts.